Back To School – Stay Safe Out There
The Yakima School District starts a new school year next Wednesday, August 28th, and the Yakima Fire Department (YFD) wants us all to remember back-to-school safety tips.
“The goal is to begin the academic year on a positive note, and safety is the number one priority for all students, parents and the community,” said Yakima Fire Chief Aaron Markham. “We recognize that this time of year is busy, but we encourage everyone to have safety on the forefront of their minds going into the new school year.”
National Safety Council and Yakima Fire Fighters recommend::
- Never walk while texting.
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device.
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing the street.
- Cross only at crosswalks.
- Stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
- Always stop for a school patrol officer or crossing guard holding up a stop sign.
- Take extra care to look out for children in school zones, near playgrounds and parks, and in all residential areas.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians.
Call 575-6060 or visit https://yakimafire.com/ for more about the Yakima Fire Department.