Space Heater Causes Yakima House Fire Sunday
Yakima Fire Department firefighters battled flames of a house fire early Sunday morning at a home in the 100 block of North 28th Avenue. The cause of the fire? Faulty electrical wiring that supplied power to a portable space heater.
Fire officials say never plug a space heater into an extension cord because space heaters are designed to be energized by wall mounted receptacles.
In Sunday's fire all the residents in the home were able to escape without injury. The family is now being helped by the American Red Cross.
The fire was reported at about 3:20 a.m. Sunday. Damage is estimated at $30,000.
It's unknown if the home had working smoke alarms but fire officials say they save lives. The Yakima Fire Department installs smoke alarms free of charge in homes of residents who can't physically or financially do so for themselves. Call the department for more information at 575-6060.