Portable Space Heater Causes Tuesday House Fire
Damage is estimated at $80,000 after a fire at a duplex early Tuesday morning in the 700 block of South 9th Avenue. Firefighters say they were called to the fire at 2:19 a.m. and when they arrived they found flames coming from the front and side windows of one of the units. Yakima Police officers arrived and helped evacuate residents without injury.
One duplex where the fire started was destroyed the other residence had little or no damage. Investigators say the fire was caused by a portable space heater that was too close to combustible materials or had a faulty power cord. Firefighters say it's that time of year when they see a lot of fires caused by space heaters. They warn never to place curtains, bedding or clothes to close to the heater and they say many of the heaters have old cords that can cause a fire.