Family of 3 Killed in Wapato House Fire
WAPATO, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say a couple and their 21-month daughter died in an early Monday morning fire near the city of Wapato.
Yakima County Coroner Jack Hawkins says 29-year-old Joseph Boehme, his 26-year-old wife Viola Stahi and their daughter, Madison Stahi died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation.
The Yakima County Fire District No. 5 says the fire was reported just before 1:40 a.m. at a manufactured home west of Wapato.
Deputy Chief Kevin Frazier says Yakima County sheriff's deputies who arrived at the scene had opened the front door and found a person lying on the floor but couldn't get inside because of the heat.
Firefighters arrived and pulled the person from the home. Crews also found a woman's body and a child in one of the bedrooms. The child died at the hospital.
Frazier says the Yakama Nation Police Department is investigating.