For Students to Make Big Bucks They Must Pick the Proper Major –Dave’s Diary
What’s the magic number for you? How much money do you need to make to consider yourself a success? Back in the day the goal was to earn your age but we have moved past that by a decimal or two. As you wave good bye to your college bound offspring, pass them a note that says ENGINEERING.
If you want a career that will pays six figures — $100,000 or more — after several years of work, major in engineering, computer science or mathematics. The jobs in some disciplines pay as much as 300% more than the lowest paying ones according to a study conducted by researchers at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.
- Overall, college graduates make 84% more over their lifetime than those who only have a high school diploma.
- The highest paying college majors are petroleum engineering ($120,000), followed by computer science and math (both at $98,000).
- The lowest paying college major is early childhood education ($36,000).
- The most popular major group is business, which accounts for 25% of all college students.
- The least popular majors are industrial arts and agriculture with 1.6% each.
- Major Fields with virtually no unemployment: geological and geophysical engineering, military technologies, pharmacology and school student counseling.
- Major Fields with the highest unemployment, ranging from 16% to 11 percent: social psychology, nuclear engineering and educational administration and supervision.