Yakima FD’s Tips Help You From Burning Up Your House This X-mas
The holiday season is here with lights and festive decorations and the Yakima Fire Department (YFD) has a few safety tips and reminders so you have a safe holiday season.
According to YFD Chief Aaron Markham, the top three days for house fires caused by candles are Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. By following these simple suggestions, you can greatly decrease the risk of possibly life-threatening fire hazards:
- Only use decorations that are flame-retardant or nonflammable.
- Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommended limits regarding the number of light strings to connect together to avoid overloading circuits.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
- Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits.
- Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from becoming dry.
Call 575-6060 or visit https://yakimafire.com/ for more info from YFD.