When was the last time you checked the batteries in your smoke alarms? Firefighters say you have 2 to 3 minutes to escape a fire in your home and make it out alive. It's not known if a triplex that caught fire Friday had working smoke alarms but no one was injured after escaping the early morning fire.
Yakima Firefighters were called to the fire Friday morning. The fire was reported at a triplex in the 800 block of South 53rd Avenue. Damage from the fire is estimated at $575,000. Crews were called to the fire at about 12:57 a.m. and found fire engulfing a portion of the triplex. The structures’ attached garages were on fire as well. Firefighters say they were able to save the third triplex unit.
Everyone was able to escape without injury. The cause remains under investigation. It's not known where the fire started but fire officials say the most common home fires start in the kitchen. In fact the National Fire Protection Association says cooking fires cause about 49 percent of all residential fires.
They're often caused by greases that are overheated. Grease is highly flammable when it gets hot enough to burn.
It's the reason why firefighters urge everyone to "stand by your pan" and never leave the kitchen when cooking things on the stove. Especially things that are cooking in grease or hot oil.

If you are cooking outside on the BBQ remember to be careful if your grill is on a wooden deck or near the walls of your home. Firefighters just want everyone to have a safe spring and summer.

 

LOOK: Here are the best small towns to live in across America