Homeless Woman In Yakima Escapes Fire With Minor Injuries
Yakima Fire Department officials say a woman living in a homeless camp on West Washington Avenue was able to escape a brush fire started by a campfire Wednesday morning. Firefighters say they were called to the area of the Railroad Tracks and W Washington Avenue . Capt. Jeff Pfaff says the woman woke to fire at the entrance of her cardboard hut where she was living. The female ended up kicking her way out to escape with minor burns. "This person is very lucky to escape with only singed and burnt hair." stated Jeff Pfaff, Yakima Fire Department's PIO. "Even though we are in the fall season and temperatures are getting colder, there is still a great risk for fire and fire growth until we get some precipitation." says Pfaff.
Officials believe her campfire sparked the fire, which seven firefighters put out.