Longview Homeless Shelter Evacuated Due to Fire
LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — About 80 residents of a homeless shelter in southwestern Washington were evacuated after a fire in the laundry room.
The Daily News reports the Community House on Broadway emergency shelter in Longview was evacuated Wednesday morning.
Longview Fire Chief Phil Jurmu says a sprinkler system contained the dryer fire to the second-floor laundry room and firefighters finished dousing the fire within minutes of arriving shortly after 8 a.m. He says the damage was "minor to moderate."
Jurmu says one person was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation.
Shelter residents, which include dozens of children, were housed in a nearby church.
The shelter was expected to reopen Wednesday night.