How do you fit in with America’s Workout Habits? — Dave’s Diary
My wife is really becoming an exercise fanatic. She is lean and strong to the point that I’m not sure if I could take her in a 2 out of 3 wrestling match—although it might be fun to try! But with the family focus on exercise I am always on the lookout for health and exercise information for her and you! (and one day even me!!) Americans are working out and Timex has released results of a survey detailing the nation’s exercise habits. The Timex/SodaHead.com survey shows that while the perception may be that most Americans are not exercising, the reality is that 73 percent of respondents are working out at least once a week. Highlights of the survey include:
- 29 percent spend between 30 minutes and one hour on their physical activities and 18 percent are spending between one and two hours exercising.
- 61 percent of respondents don’t go to a gym to exercise. If they do go to the gym, they want to stay close as only 11 percent drive more than 15 minutes to their exercise destination.
- Working out at lunch may not be for everyone, but 27 percent of respondents are finding time to get in a workout during the work day.
- When it comes to finding time to exercise it is apparent that many in America are not “morning people” as nearly half of Americans say that they don’t exercise in the morning. For those that do work out in the morning, 6am is the most popular time.
- The most popular type of exercise is running (18 percent), followed by lifting weights (13 percent) and biking/hiking/outdoor activities (13 percent)
- Once Americans finish exercising it is time to hit the showers. 43 percent of survey respondents spend at least 10-15 minutes in the shower, 25 percent spend a whopping 20-30 minutes and 10 percent spend more than a half-hour