Effective Jan. 1st, state law says landlords must install carbon monoxide detectors on their properties. Homes built after 2009, already have them. They were not required before that. Firefighters wish there were a requirement for every home. They have seen more cases of carbon monoxide poisoning over the years, which can come from a natural gas leak.

In Washington, more people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in recent years. There were 50 cases in 2008, to three times that last year.

Homeowners can pick up an alarm at any general hardware store ranging from $25 to $50. In addition, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide do not have the same lifetime. Smoke detectors last ten years, and carbon monoxide only six years. Investing in them separately might save buyers in the end.

More From News Talk KIT