House Fire Prompts Warning From Yakima Fire Department
Four people escaped a Yakima house fire Sunday in the 500 Block Landon Avenue. Firefighters were called to the fire at about 6:30 a.m. when they arrived they found the fire in the attic space. They say the wall mounted air conditioner in the home was plugged into the circuit where the breakers were tripped. And fire officials say the occupants had multiple trips of the circuit breaker which powered the air-conditioner just prior to the fire.
The fire was contained to the attic and was extinguished within an hour. Damage is estimated at 25,000.
No injuries were reported.
The Yakima Fire Department would like to remind people to call a certified electrician if your electrical panel has a circuit breaker trip to the "off" position. It is likely that there is a problem with your system that could lead to a fire if not inspected.