College Students Beware; Officials Warn of Dormitory Fire Danger
If you or someone you know is leaving for college and planning on living in a college dorm have you thought about fire danger?
The Washington State Fire Marshall's Office wants you to think about fire safety in case a big fire starts in a dormitory.
FIRES HAPPEN AT COLLEGE DORMITORIES EVERY YEAR
Last year in Washington State, there were over 800 fire incidents that involved college campus dormitories with a dollar loss of over $11 million. Fire officials say fires in dormitories happen during the evening hours and weekends, usually happening between the hours of 5:00 pm-11:00 pm.
STAYING SAFE IN A COLLEGE DORM IS EASY BY TAKING THESE STEPS
A press release from the Office says there are things you can do to make dorm living safe;
· * Making sure the dorm room has working smoke alarms.
· * Testing and maintaining smoke alarms in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
· * Never removing batteries or disable smoke alarms.
· Knowing two ways out from each room and dormitory building, and practicing a fire escape plan.
· * Talking to roommates to determine a safe place to meet outside the building in case of a fire.
· * Clearing exits, hallways, and stairs so they are not blocked if there is a need to leave quickly.
· * Leaving quickly whenever the fire or smoke alarm sounds. Spending time retrieving items increases the chances of being trapped. Leave everything and GO.
· * Staying in the kitchen whenever cooking, and only cook when alert. Do not cook when sleepy or drowsy from drugs or alcohol.
· * Never leave burning candles unattended.
· * Checking with school’s policies and rules before using any electrical appliances in sleeping room.
For more information, contact the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (360) 596-3929.
Got a news tip? Email us here.