House Fire Displaces 11 From Foster Home
A fire in the 600 block of North 2nd Street has displaced 11 people from a foster home where nine kids were being housed.
At approximately 7:45 p.m. Tuesday night, the Yakima Fire Department responded to what they were told was a car fire. When they arrived at the scene, they found the house on fire. It took 40 minutes to put the fire out due to the fire extending into the attic.
Two children in the house heard the smoke detector going off from a bedroom and when they opened the door they saw fire and smoke coming from the portable air conditioner. Fire officials have ruled the fire an accident with the cause being an extension cord connected to the portable air conditioner.
Total damage is estimated at $50,000.
Fire officials are using this opportunity to remind residents that it is important to have working smoke detectors as well as reading instructions on proper use and installation of portable air conditioners.