Contact Us

Department of Health Warns Against Using Some Devices to Heat House

Wikimedia

As the temperature in the Yakima Valley is expected to drop, the Washington State Department of Health has some warnings about non-traditional ways to heat homes.

They say that it might be tempting to bring in the barbecue grill or gas generator, but that is extremely dangerous due carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a poisonous gas that can’t be seen or smelled and can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. It can quickly build up to unsafe levels in enclosed or semi-enclosed areas.

Department of Health indoor air advisor Nancy Bernard particularly worries should there be a power outage since bringing in a grill might seem like the only choice.

“It doesn’t take too much or too long for carbon monoxide to make someone sick or to kill them – and the tragic truth is that it happens every winter.”

Here are some recommendations to avoid the dangers of carbon monoxide.

  • Never use a charcoal or gas grill in an enclosed space.
  • Do not burn charcoal in a fireplace. There will not be a strong enough draft to push the carbon monoxide out of the chimney.
  • Do not use a gas oven for heat.
  • Never run a car engine or generator in a garage and keep generators at least 20 feet from any air intake.

More from newstalkkit.com

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://newstalkkit.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on News Talk KIT quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Sign up for an account to comment, share your thoughts, and earn points to get great prizes.

Register on News Talk KIT quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!