All Too Familiar – Work Spark Causes Brush Fire
A spark from a work crew using a cutting tool in the parking lot of Yakima Cinema on North 16th Avenue is being blamed for yesterday’s big brush fire. Deputy Yakima Fire Marshal Brandon Dorenbush says many homes in the area where spared from the fire because of the efforts of firefighters but others he says had created a green barrier around their home.
Dorenbush says when the fire first started it was small and fire units from Yakima thought they had it under control. But the wind kicked up the fire as it started to move toward homes and businesses. Firefighters had the blaze under control by late yesterday afternoon. No injuries were reported.