Major Rehab Work Underway At Yakima Airport
Most of us wouldn't even know it but a major project is underway at the Yakima Air Terminal-McAllister Field. The nearly $2 million project will give planes a smoother surface to land. The construction started on Monday and will finish in late June. Crews are removing and installing about 22,000 square yards of asphalt. They're also working to update the areas where aircraft are parked and replacing airfield lighting and making improvements to the terminal building.
There's no major impact on passengers. The airport remains open during the project.
A news release from the city of Yakima explains how the work is being funded.
"Total funding for the project is estimated to be $1.9 million dollars, of which 90 percent is provided by the FAA through a grant. The remaining 10 percent match is funded through the airport’s Passenger Facility Charge program."