A Yakima man was seriously injured in a fire Sunday. Yakima Fire Department Capt. Jeff Pfaff says firefighters
responded to a reported house fire at the 1300 Block of Cherry Avenue at about 1:50 a.m. Sunday. When they arrived  crews found a one story duplex with smoke and fire coming from the front rooms of the home and they also found a man in the front yard that had been seriously burned after escaping the flames.
Firefighters say the man in his 40's, was taken to the local hospital with 3rd degree burns over 40 % of his body. Pfaffs says the man, who hasn't been identified was then transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he remains Today.

Pfaff says the man woke up to smoke and fire and also woke up others in the apartment. 4 people in the home

managed to escape through a bedroom window. It is unknown why the burned patient was unable to rescue himself. Investigators blame the blaze on a cooking fire that started in the kitchen.

More From News Talk KIT