The Party Continues! National Ice Cream Month!
We’re halfway through July. Have you celebrated National Ice Cream month yet? No time like the present. Get a spoon and consider these ice cream fun facts as revealed by a recent Harris Poll!
- We Americans slurp up the most ice cream per person than folks in any other nation – a whopping 48 pints for each of us per year.
- A serving of vanilla ice cream was offered to immigrants at Ellis Island, as part of their “Welcome to America” meal.
- Ice cream was first mentioned in writing in this country in a letter from the 1700s, which admiringly described the ice cream and strawberry dessert a Maryland governor served at a fancy dinner party. Back then, ice cream was enjoyed mostly by a very elite few, including George Washington.
- 98% of all households purchase ice cream
- The top three cities in America that purchase the most ice cream are: Portland, Oregon; St. Louis, Missouri; and Seattle, Washington.