- Cleopatra -- Egypt's last pharaoh who is said to have killed herself with a snake bite
- Mia -- To stand for "missing in action"
- Subira -- Egyptian word for "patience"
- Amaunet -- Ancient Egyptian goddess whose name means "the female hidden one"
- Agnes -- Greek for pure or holy, also a reference to St. Agnes
The Bronx Zoo has revealed the five finalists it had whittled down from more than 33,000 suggested names that were submitted by the public for its now-famous Egyptian cobra, which made international headlines when it escaped for six days before being recaptured in the zoo's Reptile House.