Help Available For Those Unable to Sign Up For Health Care
With the deadline to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan through wahealthplanfinder.org now passed, Washington Healthplanfinder is reaching out to residents who couldn’t complete their application by March 31 with important guidance to qualify for a special enrollment. Washingtonians who were prevented from submitting their application by the deadline should complete these steps as soon as possible to qualify for coverage that begins May 1.
As a reminder, those who qualify for Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) may enroll at any point during the year, as well as American Indians/Alaskan natives who are enrolled members of a federally recognized tribe or an Alaska native corporation.
The exchange has already reviewed several groups of applications in the system based on application activity and will open a special enrollment period for individuals who have encountered technical problems on or before March 31. Individuals who have been approved for a special enrollment period will receive notification from the Exchange within the next week.
Washington Healthplanfinder offers this information about the special enrollment process:
- If Customers Started an Application by March 31: If customers were unable to finalize their application by March 31, the Exchange will contact them with instructions to complete their application after the deadline.
- If Customers Couldn’t Start an Application by March 31: If residents couldn’t start an application by March 31, they will need to fill out an online Request for Enrollment Form located here: https://petition.wahealthplanfinder.org/ . They may start an application so that they can provide an application ID number to complete the form. They may also contact the toll-free Customer Support Center, a Navigator or a Broker to assist them with their application and the online form. Staff will review cases in the order that they are received.
- Include an Application ID: Customers must provide an application ID number to complete this form. This number can be located via the user’s Account Dashboard under the Primary Applicant Information Screen in the upper right-hand corner. If customers need help locating this number, they may contact the toll-free Customer Support Center at 1-855-923-4633.
- Cases Will Be Reviewed: Staff will review cases in the order they are received. Please note that it may take two to three weeks on average to review these requests and verify eligibility for a special enrollment period.
- Select a Plan and Complete Payment: Residents who are granted a special enrollment must take the necessary steps of selecting and submitting payment for a Qualified Health Plan to complete the enrollment process.
While enrollment in Qualified Health Plans ended on March 31, residents may also be eligible to enroll outside of the enrollment period if they have a qualifying life event such as a change in family size, marriage, divorce, having or adopting a child, no longer being eligible for a parent’s health insurance due to a 26th birthday, moving to a new state and certain changes to income.