Breakfast can be one of the most dangerous times at the home.

Firefighters say it is because a pot on the stove may be forgotten. They urge residents to pay attention in the kitchen because cooking fires are the biggest cause of house fires in the city of Yakima.

This week is fire prevention week and Yakima Fire Department Capt. Tom Schneider says many people get forgetful when working in the kitchen and that can lead to a big house fire.

“Last year 31 percent of all our house fires in the city of Yakima were caused by someone working in the kitchen.”

Schneider recommends to not leave the kitchen when cooking and to set a timer as a reminder when returning.

He also suggests having a kitchen fire extinguisher on hand in case of a grease fire.