EPIC Children Learn to be Safe
Over 275 children at EPIC’s Jefferson Early Learning Center, 902 E. Viola, will have many visitors on Thursday March 24, 2011 teaching them how to be safe at home, at school and when they are outdoors.
EPIC’s 4th Annual Safety Fair will be held in two sessions; 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. This event brings together several community agencies, businesses, and organizations to give the children an opportunity to meet and have hands-on experiences with them; giving them a better understanding of how they help the children, their families and friends every day of their lives.
- Advanced Life Systems Ambulance will show the children how they use a stretcher when they are helping people and they will also show them other first-aid equipment .
- Manning Dog Training will teach the children how to act when a strange dog is in the neighborhood, the best way to pet a dog and how to ask a dog owner if they can pet their dog .
- Old Country Harvest Buffet’s mascot bee will teach the children how to keep their heart healthy by doing an exercise activity with them.
- The USDA will bring their insect display .
- The US Forest Service’s Smokey the Bear will instruct the children on how to prevent forest fires.
- The Yakima Fire Department will teach the children to stop, drop and roll.
- The Yakima Health Department will have their black-light hand washing booth, showing the children why it is important to wash their hands often and well.
- The Yakima Police will teach the children about Stranger Danger .
- and finally Yakima Recycling will have a worm display and teach about recycling.