Dave’s Diary:Put Down the Knife – Go Under the Fork
60 is the new 40 right? Baby boomers desperate to hang on to their youth and youthful looks have been going under the knife and needle in record numbers. But there is information out there that seems to say “put down the scalpel and collagen and pick up the fork and spoon. “ If we are what we eat, then eating healthy should leave us looking healthy too. Check out these food and effects from Red Book Magazine.
• Broccoli: Along with the antioxidants, it’s got sulforaphane, which promotes liver detoxification. Those liver toxins leave us with dull and dry skin, hair and nails.
Cocoa: It helps to maintain healthy blood vessels, which support healthy circulation.
• Oranges: They are full of skin-firming collagen.
• Fish: Those who eat diets high in omega-3 rich foods experience fewer chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis and rosacea.
• Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil: It’s a good substitute for those who don’t like fish.
• Spinach: Dark-colored fruits and veggies are the best way to get provitamin A carotenoid.
• Sweet potatoes: They’ve got mineral copper, which facilitates collagen production and helps to ward off loose, thin skin.
• Beans and legumes: Vegetarians and meat-lovers alike can keep their bodies in tip-top shape with these protein-packed nuggets.
• Chicken: Poultry is high in zinc and selenium, two minerals that balance hormones and promote collagen production.
• Green tea: It’s hydrating, an anti-inlammatory and boosts metabolism.