Dave’s Diary: What Her Choice of Dog Says About Her
Guy Speak…..Are you as tired as I am of all the celebrity ladies and celeb-wannabees with their “purse dogs”? With all due respect to the smaller breeds a dog SHOULD be bigger than a cat and it shouldn’t ride in a handbag!
Susan Heitler, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist, says that when a woman chooses a dog, “something about that dog needs to resonate with something the woman likes about herself”. What does that say for Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, etc. or better yet what does that say about their poor dogs!
- The pocketbook pup — Maltese, Chihuahua. It means: She loves attention and flouts rules by taking the dog everywhere. John C. Wright, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at Mercer University, says of such owners, “They’re dying to hear, ‘Oh, what a darling puppy.’ — as though it says something about them.”
- The playful pooch — Labrador, golden retriever. It means: She’s adventurous, a guy’s girl who’s not afraid to sweat. A Lab says playful; a golden implies affection — they like to lick, says Heitler. Licking is good.
- The mutt — Could be anything. It means: She’s bighearted, a rescuer, a woman who looks beneath the surface. “She’s very confident and says, ‘I see value in you, even though everyone else in the world thinks you’re ugly,'” says Wright. Don’t take it personally.
- The chic dog — Pug, Kerry blue terrier. It means: She’s trendy, possibly superficial, Heitler says. She may have bought it as a fashion accessory without studying its traits, warns Marty Becker, D.V.M., author of “Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul.”
- The powerhouse — Great Dane, Irish wolfhound. It means: She likes a challenge — and protection. A powerful dog may mirror her personality. “The hidden agenda may be, ‘Be careful and don’t do anything stupid,'” , says Wright.