Brian’s Blog: No iPads in my Kids’ Christmas Stockings
A recent survey reported that 48% of kids ages 6 to 12 would like an iPad in the next 6 months. It’s not going to happen at my house.
A recent Nielsen survey came up with the following results:
- 48% of kids aged 6 to 12 would like an iPad within the next six months.
- 21% of youngsters aged 13 and older would like an iPad.
- 39% of kids aged 6 to 112 want Nintendo’s Wii U within the next six months.
- The iPod Touch and the iPad Mini tied for third with children at 36 percent.
- Oh, and a third of the kids said they’d like to receive an Apple iPhone.
For one thing, no child of mine is getting an iPad before Dad does. it’s just not going to happen. Also, if you take one look at the way my kids keep their rooms picked up, meaning they don’t, why should I tell Santa to fork over an expensive piece of electronics that will probably end up shoved under the bed with the dust bunnies?
Here are some questions for my fellow parents:
Do you think it is okay to buy kids electronic devices that are this expensive? Do you set a spending limit? Would you let your kids have an iPad? What about a cell phone? What is the perfect age to purchase a cell phone for your kids?
All legitimate questions. I guess the key is how well we all know our kids. Can they handle the responsibility of a cell phone? Would they use it wisely? Or would it get lost?
Leaves us a comment to let us know what you think.