Apartment Fire Blamed On Fan Damages Three Units
An apartment fire in Yakima early this morning destroyed one unit and damaged two others but no injuries were reported. The fire happened at about 5:40 this morning at 711 West Walnut. A smoke alarm and a dog alerted the residents to the fire in one unit. Everyone was able to escape without being hurt. Three apartments were damaged in the blaze being blamed on a free standing fan that malfunctioned. Damage is estimated at 210 thousand dollars. The Battalion Chief Mitch Cole “Although the 6 foot high security fencing delayed getting water on the fire, our firefighters did an excellent job stopping this fire at the apartment of origin.” He says they were able to contain the blaze to one unit. The other units were damaged by smoke and water.